Discussion: Redshirts by John Scalzi
Posted by Makyo on Dec 01, 2013
Yay marfs! In November we read Redshirts by John Scalzi, a delightfully self-referential science fiction novel!
You may join the hangout by going here (this link will be live once the discussion starts!).
If you have finished the book by the time the discussion starts, feel free to join us in the hangout! If you do not want to join in on the discussion on the video call but would still like to join in the discussion overall, you may do so by mentioning @bookmarfs on twitter, commenting here, or joining the #bookmarfs IRC channel on Anthrochat or Furnet. Remember, we’ll be talking about the book from start to finish, so it will be hard to avoid spoilers; just something to keep in mind! Hangout tips:
- If you’re not talking, it’s a good idea to mute yourself. You can click on the microphone in the upper left corner, or hit Ctrl+d
- If someone forgets to mute themselves and you can hear typing, munching, dogs howling, or whatever, you can mute them – if you get muted, remember it’s not intended as a slight, we’re just staying focused!
- Hangouts will try to focus on whoever is talking at the time, so try not to talk over others too much!
- If you are participating in the hangout, please leave this page or mute the video. The broadcast runs a few seconds behind, and it will echo terribly!
- We’ll be trying to limit the length of the discussion to 45-60 minutes this time around.
- We’ll still be loosely following the rubric posted here, but will be aiming to maintain a fairly positive discussion; discussing the problems with the text is fine, but we’re all here to have a good time!
Hope to see you there!